Call Today 336.390.4774
Passion for Excellence Dedication to Results - We Won't Stop Fighting for You

Family Law FAQ

Answers to Frequently Asked Family Law Questions

Dealing with family legal matters can be confusing but, thankfully, Hartsoe & Associates is here to help. Our trusted Winston-Salem family lawyers can help answer any questions you may have regarding your unique situation, and strive to remain accessible and available to each of our clients. We represent individuals, families, and business owners throughout the Piedmont Triad Area.

Below you will find a list of some of our most frequently asked questions. If you are still looking for answers, do not hesitate to contact Hartsoe & Associates and schedule a consultation.

  • What is the difference between separation and divorce?
    According to the law, legal separation allows you to still be legally married to your spouse but not necessarily reside in the same place. Separated couples can still obtain tax benefits, be on each other’s insurance plans, and retain many benefits of a married couple. Divorce is a legal dissolution of marriage and all married benefits are ceased upon completion of a divorce decree.
  • Will I get custody of my children?
    Custody of children under the age of 18 is a major concern for many divorcing couples. There are a lot of factors that go into consideration when a judge determines custody of children and visitation for non-custodial parents. In order to obtain the custody agreements that you desire, it is always important to speak with a lawyer about your particular situation.
  • Will I need to pay spousal support?
    Determining spousal support can be complicated. Family law courts will look into how long you and your spouse were married, the roles each individual obtained during the marriage, the lifestyle you had become accustomed to, and the reasons for divorce. An attorney can fight for your support and protect your rights throughout a divorce, which is why it is important to work with Hartsoe & Associates.
  • Will I need to pay child support?

    Based on custody agreements, some non-custodial parents will need to pay child support to the custodial parent. Child support is often granted to help minor children obtain favorable educations, medical and dental, and provide stability for extracurricular activities and the expenses necessary to raise a child. Whether you are looking to obtain child support, or have questions regarding payments, our team of Winston-Salem lawyers can help.

  • How long will the divorce proceedings last?
    A lot of people feel apprehensive regarding the length of a divorce case, but the sooner you get started, the sooner it may be done. There are no cut-and-dry timelines for divorces and many factors can be a cause for variation; however, most non-contested divorces can be completed within a year. To determine how long your divorce proceedings may last, call our office and discuss your situation with one of our skilled lawyers.
  • I am scared of my spouse, how do I obtain a divorce and protect myself and my family?
    If abuse plays a factor in your overall decision to divorce from your spouse, you may need a restraining order. These orders can help protect you from contact with your spouse and help in determining custody, support, and other issues pertaining to your divorce.
  • What will happen to my property/assets/finances?
    In a divorce, property, assets, finances, and debts can be separated. Marital property, which is any property obtained during the time of the marriage, can be split. The same will go for assets, debts, and liens, as well as finances. Of course, each situation is unique and an experienced family lawyer from Hartsoe & Associates can help you understand the division of assets in your case.
  • Is divorce expensive?
    Divorce can be affordable. Attorney fees, filing fees, and spousal financial arrangements often play a factor in the overall cost of divorce. In order to determine how much you may end up spending, we always encourage potential clients to call us and schedule a consultation with Hartsoe & Associates.
  • How do I file for divorce in Winston-Salem?

    The first step in filing divorce should always be to obtain an experienced, understanding, and compassionate lawyer. A lawyer can guide you through the legal process and be your steadfast support through all trials, mediation, and legal proceedings. Once you obtain a lawyer, filing divorce papers with the court system will get the legal process started. Papers will then need to be served to your spouse.

  • Do I really need an attorney?
    Yes! Having an attorney can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. There are so many factors that can come into play during the course of your proceedings, and Hartsoe & Associates can help guide you from the start.

“Mr. Hartsoe was my lawyer in a child custody case. Every goal that we set was reached. His experience and knowledge in child custody was beneficial in outcome of my case. I was granted full custody of my child. I have recommended Tony to several people and will continue to do so.”

- Trent
Contact Us
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.